Willkommen Sie meinen Blog

Welcome to my Blog, I'm glad you stopped by. I thought a little introduction was in order after I reviewed some Blogs of others and didn't have a clue what it was their Blog was about even after reading the last several posts. Not that it matters, if you like what I write, read on, if not, no harm no foul.

I began writing again after one of my grad classes last summer inspired me to do so. It was a class on the world famous author, Stephen King and it was incredible. In 2011 I received my Master of Arts in Liberal Studies degree from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. My undergraduate degree is also from UNCW in Sociology with a minor in Gerontology which I obtained in 2005.

A lot has changed since I began writing this Blog in 2010. I am rediscovering who it is that I am and what makes me happy. Feel free to read through from the beginning and see where I have come from and continue to follow along as I begin a new chapter in my life, one that proves to be interesting and filled with exciting challenges that I can't wait to share with the World. So for now, "Das ist Leben"...this is life!


Thursday, January 13, 2011

Three Countries in one day...road trip to Italia Dec 2010



EuroTrip 2010 begins in Germany!



This was our first Christmas in Germany and Matt and I wanted to take a vacation to some place warmer than Germany but close enough to drive our car. It's not that we dislike using the train or taking a plane, it's just that we are big road trippers and wanted to experience a real "Euro Trip." 



Austria


Since Matt wasn't able to take off work for an entire week surrounding Christmas, we decided to take a vacation earlier in December. I searched our timeshare site, RCI, and found a beautiful resort called "il Poggio" located on the hill of a medieval town called Celle sul Rigo in Tuscany, Italy.



Keys to our apartment at il Poggio

 

We left Germany around 10:30 am and it was cold, wet, and dreary. We set out on what we thought would be an eight hour drive...twelve hours later we arrived at our beautiful resort.



Rhein river



Crossing over the Rhein



Austria





We started on the Autobahn in Germany and drove into Austria where we had to stop and purchase a sticker for our vehicle. The sticker cost us 7.50 euros and was good for 10 days of unlimited travel throughout Austria. "Austria requires all vehicles using the autobahn to display an “Autobahn Vignette” highway tax sticker on the inside of the vehicle’s windshield. The sticker may be purchased at border crossings, gas stations in Austria, and small “Tabak” shops located in Austrian towns. Fines for failing to display a valid autobahn vignette on the windshield of your car are usually around $150." ( Travel.state.gov)



Passenger side photo shoot!



Alps


We didn't even realize we had entered Switzerland until we noticed the Swiss license plates on all the cars and a clearer view of the amazing Alps. I guess I expected there would be "Welcome" signs each time we crossed over into a different country like we have in the states each time we enter a new state.




Alps in Switzerland


Once in Switzerland we should have purchased another sticker for the autobahn which cost us 40 euro. Some how we drove right through with no problem on our way to Italy but we were stopped at what I guess was the border on the way back home and had to purchase the sticker. 



Switzerland


"Travel on expressways (indicated by green signs with a white expressway symbol) requires purchase of a sticker (“vignette”), which must be affixed to the car’s windshield. Vignettes can be purchased at most border crossings points, gas stations and at Swiss post offices. Drivers using the highway system without a vignette are subject to hefty fines levied on the spot. Public transportation in Switzerland and Liechtenstein is excellent." (travel.state.gov)











It was such a long road through Switzerland to Italy but the view was well worth the trip. On the way home we found a shorter route which got us home in nine hours but we missed a lot of the Alps so I'm so glad we did it once, that's enough!


Almost there











Liebe,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment