Willkommen Sie meinen Blog

Welcome to my Blog, I'm glad you stopped by. I thought a little introduction was in order after I reviewed some Blogs of others and didn't have a clue what it was their Blog was about even after reading the last several posts. Not that it matters, if you like what I write, read on, if not, no harm no foul.

I began writing again after one of my grad classes last summer inspired me to do so. It was a class on the world famous author, Stephen King and it was incredible. In 2011 I received my Master of Arts in Liberal Studies degree from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. My undergraduate degree is also from UNCW in Sociology with a minor in Gerontology which I obtained in 2005.

A lot has changed since I began writing this Blog in 2010. I am rediscovering who it is that I am and what makes me happy. Feel free to read through from the beginning and see where I have come from and continue to follow along as I begin a new chapter in my life, one that proves to be interesting and filled with exciting challenges that I can't wait to share with the World. So for now, "Das ist Leben"...this is life!


Sunday, July 10, 2011

Becoming Pet Owners

I may be the worlds most allergic-to-animals person on the planet, but when I first looked into the tiny brown eyes of a Poodle named Brady, I was smitten.

Brady Lyman

Because my husband grew up with more pets than I could even count, he has been trying to get me to agree to getting a pet since we met. My darling husband likes cats about as much as Angela from the hit TV show, The Office which is a major turn off to me because I would rather have a pet poisonous spider or a rabid monkey than a cat.


I am so allergic to cats that even the sight of them turns my stomach...weird, huh? They make me sneeze if I get too close and if I am around them for more than five minutes, I start to itch and my eyes water so bad that I can no longer see out of them. I am allergic to dogs, rabbits and hamsters too, but cats are my kryptonite.


First bath

I've done enough research to know that there are several breeds of dogs that I would most likely be able to one day own without worrying about having an allergic reaction. We have talked about getting an Airedale Terrier in the past but we agreed that our current home was way too small and since we don't have a yard, our poor dog wouldn't get the exercise he needed. It looked like we would have to wait until we moved back to the states and had a house before we got a dog.

All clean!

Then our friend Chelle posted a message on Facebook about her frustration with a Toy Poodle that was driving her and their tiny Yorkie crazy. She and her husband Keith were originally only supposed to watch Brady for a few months until his owners received orders back to Germany. The Marine Corps doesn't always work out the way we "plan" and so they were not going to be coming back to Germany after all, leaving Brady with the Granberry's for good. The Granberry's loved Brady but they already had a small dog named Cooper who was constantly having to compete with Brady for attention.

Exploring Germany

Matt messaged Chelle and said, "we want Brady!" Since I knew I wouldn't be allergic to him, we decided to go meet him one day. The rest is history in the making; that little dog is our baby and we love him to pieces!




Brady just turned two on June 25th, also Matt's birthday. He is an Apricot, Toy Poodle and we are his fifth family (four of which have been Marine Corps!)...we will be his last!

Liebe,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment